Thursday, October 10, 2013

Kid isms

So I still have some posts to catch up on but wanted to post a couple random thoughts to journal them before I forget.

I have been working with Corey on saying a full sentence.  The other day he kept saying, "dad home, dad home."  So I said "say the full sentence: I want dad home."  So he repeated it.  I said "good, that's a full sentence."  So the next day we were in the car and Corey saw a fly.  He said, "fly car, fly car!"  I said say the full sentence: Fly in the car.  So he said the 'full sentence': "fly, I want dad home!"  LOL!  In his mind there was only one full sentence so in his mind he combined the fly and made it into the sentence!  This has since happened with other things, like feeding Brielle and I tell him to say "I want to feed Brielle,"  and his sentence goes something like "I want to...dad home."

So it was parent teacher conferences today.  Brooke was first and her teacher said she is doing really well.  She is in a higher reading group and is eager to read, which I readily agreed.  Every night, on her own accord, she will sit down with her SCRIPTURES (of all 'easy' books to read) and try to sound out words.  She will then make it up if she can't sound it out and move on.  She told me she just wants to know how to read so she can read fast.  What she needs to work on:  having more confidence at school.  She is so concerned about leaving home, pleasing the teacher and staying on task that she doesn't have confidence in what she does.  She's a sweetheart and a smarty pants and is making friends at school.  Her favorite part of day is recess!

Next was Casey.  The first thing his teacher said was "this may take awhile..Casey is such a hard kid."  With a little smirk :)  Casey is doing really well in school with way above average reading scores.  He does really well in math.  In fact his teacher told me that yesterday was a particularly hard concept for the kids to master and even with her and the mom helper going around the room during math they couldn't keep up with all the questions so she started sending kids to Casey so he could help them.  Casey definitely gets his math skills from his dad.  Math made me cry!  Still does :)  She also told me that the fuses in her room keep popping and every time they do she has to reboot the computers which is a little bit of a process.  So she showed Casey how to reboot them so that he could help her when it happened.  I love that she can rely on him.  What he needs to work on:  writing his name!  He writes it so fast that it is sloppy and hard to read.  He needs to slow down and write it nice.  He also needs to slow down on his AR tests because he's trying to do them so fast that he is not getting good scores, even if he is advancing.  Moral of the story: slow down :)  But Casey loves school and thrives off of it.  Love it!

Brielle is 8 months old and rolls everywhere, can army crawl, can almost normal crawl (with a little hop of the knees), can sit up from laying.  In fact today I went to get her from her crib and she was just sitting there playing with her blanket.  I left her with a neighbor while I went to PTC and she SCREAMED the entire time.  The moment I held her she stopped.  She has MAJOR stranger anxiety, and has since she was born.  It's getting worse with the people she doesn't know, but at least the range of people she feels comfortable with is growing.

Brooke's newest phrase: Dang it!

No comments: